Monday, October 24, 2011

Almost 3 weeks old.

A few more notes on things I had forgotten about newborns-

#6. They are REALLY cranking when they're in a growth spurt. They have one every other day or so, so for every 0.5 day of happy baby, there is roughly 1.5 days of cranky inconsolable baby.  Yeah.

#7. They can smell so good 1 minute and oh, so bad the next.

#8. Newborns are sneaky!  They'll wait until the diaper is off, and you're leaning in to make sure that you've wiped off all the grits before unleashing an unholy amount of gas directly into your face.  I recommend a spatter shield.

#9. Another diaper changing tip, their feet are always curled up so that the heels are at their butt. Make sure when changing them to hold the feet, if you let go for an instant, the heels WILL hit the poo, and then they start to kick, sending poo everywhere.  (Remember, they're sneaky!)

#10. Newborns also tell us interesting things about society.  All the old prudes who like to tell you that poop and fart jokes aren't funny are wrong.  Every time that kid poops or farts, she giggles.  Babies 1, Prudes 0.

#11. "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" is the best nursery rhyme for newborns.  You can go on a LONG time, and you don't have to worry about remembering the words when you're exhausted.

Lily is already getting bigger.  She's laughing and cooing (mostly at Matt) and has started tracking as things move in her field of vision.

Passed out at the dinner table.

 Taking Lily for a walk.

 A little rain is no big deal.

Matt continues to love his Baby Sister, sometimes too much, and we're working a lot right now on letting her sleep or eat when she needs to.

 
Digging for a booger.
Got it!

Cuddling Baby Sister.

This is what I got when I asked him to smile.

More Paparazzi!

Matt even sings to her sometimes.


Mockingbird from Virnig Family on Vimeo.

We've gotten to spend a lot of time together while I've been home, playing in the yard and at the park.
This was his book when he was a newborn.  It's gotten way more use as a play station for Trains.

The great PNW childhood tradition of Slug Stomping.

Cardboard Forts in the garage.

Chasing Deer in the back yard.

I think he's trying to catch fish with his bare hands.

Offroad Tricycle riding

 Jumpin'!

He got in the tub himself last night.  "Did you forget anything?"

As long as I was home helping to take care of Lily, Jamie and I decided now would be a good time to get Matt potty trained.  When we asked him if he wanted to be potty trained, he responded, "No! I don't want to be potty trained... I want to be woods trained!"  Too much time with GranDan I think.

Overall he's been doing pretty well, with only a few accidents, most of which when he was distracted by playing too much. (Side note here, rubber boots are not good for potty training.  When accidents occur, they just fill with pee.)


Using the Potty!

 Washing up.  What happened to your pants?

The Peeing Tree
 We call this GranDan style.  Stop the car in the grass, then get out to pee.

Matt has also developed a fake laugh that he finds highly entertaining.  So does Little Sister.


 That's all for now, I'm sure I'll have more later.


2 comments:

Tina said...

Oh, my gosh! The lullaby video is the best. Good thing Lily is a tough baby with good head control. Also loved the peeing tree. Classic black mail material for later in life.

Janice said...

When Jessica was potty trained she said, "Now I can pee in the woods like Justin!"
Must be a Virnig thing. . .